Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Classroom Suite Inquiry Project

This year I am excited to be a part of an Inquiry project with SET BC using Classroom Suite as part of my math program.   I was involved in a collaboration group with other teachers from my school looking at math and ways to improve number sense across the grades.  This project will enable me to continue with the work I have already started.

Today was our first meeting. We all called in from our different sites and after a few technical difficulties, we got started.  It was nice to be able to connect with everyone again, and hear about how the school start up went for everyone.  It also helped bring my stress level down when I heard that not every one is up and running.
This was my work station in the board room at the district office.
I spent most of the morning remembering how to navigate Classroom Suite and making a list of tasks I want to accomplish with the laptops before I get them into the hands of the kiddos.   As much as I like tech, I'm still a paper and pencil kinda girl, so I was busy scribbling while listening to the chatter and questions.

I think my first step will be to introduce my class to the laptops and get the kiddos comfortable with them.  I'm not expecting this to take very long, as I did an little survey in my room and all of the kids have some level of tech know-how.  I will go into Classroom Suite and use my projector to show them what I'm doing.  I've noticed that there is a little pause in the instructions that they will need to have patience for.

In the back end, I will be creating the groups for the computers and making sure that there is no over-lap, I'd like to have the students working on the computers by themselves if possible, by the end of October.  My first goal is to have them working with the tools for math to start (my inquiry is around math), but have the laptops integrated into other subjects as well.  I have noticed that I have many reluctant writers in my class this year, and I know I could hook them with writing on the computer... still working out what that's going to look like.  I have a number of activities that I have ready to transfer to the other laptops, so that's what I'll be working on this week.

My district tech Principal allowed me to re-purpose a cabinet that was already in my room. This is what it looks like.  The key stays with me, not in a desk or anything and I keep it locked at all times.


I am going to be stacking them 2 high, as you can see.  Once I get all the charging cords in place, I will update the picture.  I'm sure it's going to look like a hot mess!

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to see how the students respond! Thanks, Jen.
    Dorothy

    ReplyDelete